Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

VeeamBackup_Log.ldf very large after job got stuck

Post by DDIT »

Hello

I just opened this case #07132307, but wondering if anyone has a quick answer here.

I have an Agent job of the VBR server itself. This job got stuck for a few day "creating snapshot". I only noticed because I got an alert about low disk space. I noticed the VeeamBackup_Log.ldf file has grown to be 60GB, leaving only 5GB free space on the C drive. The normal size for this file is around 200MB. The main SQL database VeeamBackup.mdf is only 1.5GB. How can I purge/compress the ldf file?

I have rebooted the host, restarted the job, which completed successfully, so that's all good. I assumed running a backup might reduce this file size, but it has not.

Is there an easy fix?
Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VeeamBackup_Log.ldf very large after job got stuck

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michael

I see that you just had opened the support case. There is no need to create a topic immediately (after 8 minutes :)) after opening the support case. Next time, please give our support team time to answer the case.

What I would have done: Assuming you ask for the Veeam configuration database, you could use Microsoft's SQL Server Management Studio and try to shrink your transaction log file: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/r ... rver-ver16

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DDIT
Expert
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Michael Yorke

Re: VeeamBackup_Log.ldf very large after job got stuck

Post by DDIT » 1 person likes this post

Thanks Fabian,

I created the topic as I expected someone might have a quicker solution than waiting the typical >6 hours for the first response from Support. And due to the point at which this was noticed and my working hours I preferred to not wait overnight for a reply in case my disk space ran out entirely. I will consider phoning support after creating the case next time.

Re the issue, thank you for the instructions, which guided me to manually shrink the file, which is now back down to 200mb. Issue resolved. I have updated and closed the support ticket.