Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
barks
Lurker
Liked: never

VeeamBS Namespace missing after upgrade of VBR OS to Win 2019

Post by barks »

I performed an in-place upgrade of the host OS on which Veeam BR(9.5.4.2866) and ONE(9.5.4.4587) are both installed. After going from Win Server 2012 R2 to 2019, the root\VeeamBS Namespace is missing. The effect of this is that Veeam ONE is unable to connect to VBR so no reports or alarms about Data Protection. After the upgrade, the ONE Monitor displays Backup Infrastructure (not responding). If you attempt to remove and re-add the VBR server, ONE Monitor will produce an error saying VBR is not installed on the system.

You can determine if your Veeam BS Namespace is missing after the upgrade by using the following command.

Code: Select all

Get-WmiObject -Namespace Root -Class __Namespace -Filter "Name='VeeamBS'"
I found what I think is the MOF code used to create the WMI namespace and classes still existing in this location.
C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Veeam.Backup.WmiServer_v4.0.30319.mof

I believe that is the correct version of MOF code since inspecting a working 9.5.4.2866 VBR instance produces the same version.

Code: Select all

Get-WmiObject -Namespace Root\VeeamBS -Class __Win32Provider |Select-Object -Property CLRVersion

CLRVersion
----------
v4.0.30319
I considered running mofcomp to recreate the items in the WMI repository, but have held off for now. I am engaged with Veeam support at this point and are waiting for their response since there may be other aspects/components to this issue that are unknown to me.

Case # 04547800
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VeeamBS Namespace missing after upgrade of VBR OS to Win 2019

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
I performed an in-place upgrade of the host OS
I know there some people on this planet who did that successfully. But I have never heard that anyone did that successfully from Server 2012 R2 to Server 2019.

Having that said, I would start with a clean operating system. Troubleshooting such scenarios is probably very painful. Good luck anyway!

Best regards,
Hannes
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by Robvil » 2 people like this post

Hi,

I just had the same issue after upgrading VBR server from 2016 to 2019. After this ONE could not detect my BR server.
Turns out some or many of the WMI MOF files is not registeret, I fixed it by re-register all the MOF files again.

dir /b *.mof *.mfl | findstr /v /i uninstall > moflist.txt & for /F %s in (moflist.txt) do mofcomp %s

Regards
Robert
jackyku
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jacky Ku

Post by jackyku »

i having the same issue on this, i have try to reinstall the wmi using the command below.

"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe" /install

Veeam Support Case ID - Case # 05057621

Before i install when i issue the "Get-WMIObject -Namespace "root\VeeamBS" -Query "SELECT * FROM BackupServer" i will get invalid namespace.
After follow the step given by support the namespace become missing.

My B&R is 2012R2 upgrade to Win2019. After upgrade also impact my VSPC connection.
I have try the method to register the MOF file. May i know any impact ?
Robvil
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Robert

Post by Robvil »

It´s the MOF files in C:\windows\system32\wbem you have to re-register.
dir /b *.mof *.mfl | findstr /v /i uninstall > moflist.txt & for /F %s in (moflist.txt) do mofcomp %s
jackyku
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jacky Ku

Post by jackyku »

Hi Robvil,

I have try but still cannot not sure which area i do wrongly. At the end i doing upgrade from v11 to v11a then issue resolve.
hayden.grant
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Hayden Grant

Post by hayden.grant » 1 person likes this post

jackyku wrote: Oct 06, 2021 5:46 am i having the same issue on this, i have try to reinstall the wmi using the command below.
"C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe" /install
Thanks Jackyku!

This worked for me, where re registering the WMI MOF files as suggested above did not.
Same scenario where an in place upgrade from 2012R2 to 2019 caused this.

Hayden,
arogarth
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times

Post by arogarth » 1 person likes this post

Thanks!!!
Had the same problem after last update of VEEAM 12 and VSPC 7.0

I added the VBR to discovered Computers but the Backup Server was not detected - at the end, the Usage Reporting was not correct.

My Fix
& "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\Veeam.Backup.WmiServer.exe" /install

Thanks to all!
Socials: https://arogarth.net