- Posts: 386
- Liked: 39 times
- Joined: Jun 08, 2010 2:01 pm
- Full Name: Joerg Riether
i installed veeam b+r to my windows 7 x64 machine. On that machine i located a backup done with veeam b+r. the harddisk is an intel x25e slc ssd raid0 (2 x25e´s), very very fast. Now when i restore my 85 gig machine to the harddisk (from ssd to ssd, same machine), it copies about 13gig with speed like hell (about 280mb/s) and then suddenly breaks totally down and waits for about 5 mins. no hd activity at all. then again, after about 5 mins it comes to life again and continues it´s job as supposed to be. till 100%. there it stucks again waiting forever (for about 15 mins this time, unbelievable). but i can definitely tell (procmon, taskmgr, taskexplorer) these five minutes at first and these 15 minutes at the end it did absolutely NOTHING. Neither cpu nor hd stuff. finally it finishes everything for good.
Could someone give an explanation for this behaviour?
- SVP, Product Management
- Posts: 24810
- Liked: 3567 times
- Joined: Jan 01, 2006 1:01 am
- Location: Baar, Switzerland
If you open support case and provide full logs, our devs might be able to say more on what is going on during those "wait" periods and what component is waiting for what.
P.S. Just recalled I have seen similar behavior with some file management tools, their were "hanging" periodically and in the end of transfer waiting for Windows to commit the file system cache to disk.
- VP, Product Management
- Posts: 5421
- Liked: 2243 times
- Joined: Jun 05, 2009 12:57 pm
- Full Name: Tom Sightler
- Posts: 125
- Liked: 19 times
- Joined: May 31, 2011 9:11 am
- Full Name: Steven Rodenburg
- Location: Switzerland
Just sharing: I see the exact same behaviour when restoring to SSD's.joergr wrote:"till 100%. there it stucks again waiting forever (for about 15 mins this time, unbelievable). but i can definitely tell (procmon, taskmgr, taskexplorer) these five minutes at first and these 15 minutes at the end it did absolutely NOTHING. Neither cpu nor hd stuff. finally it finishes everything for good"
I am doing a couple of "full-vm, single VMDK VM" restores at the moment. The array is a Nexenta system with HDD- and SSD-Based iSCSI-LUN's presented to the ESX Hosts (very fast connections, several 100MB/s throughput read and write, thanks to multi 1Gbps, vSphere iSCSI MPIO and LACP on the Nexenta).
The restores that go to the HDD based LUN's are fast, get to 100% and finish. Done.
The restores that go to the SSD based LUN's are fast, get to 100% and then hang...... and hang..... then finally after about 10 minutes....... they finish normally. Done.
What i see is that during SSD restores: the hangs occur after the VMDK is written 100% in our case.
With restores to HDD, one sees the next log-entry "Registering restored VM", directly after the VMDK has finished writing 100%.
Not so with restores to SSD: that log entry comes about 10 minutes later (in our environment, i can not speak for others).
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests