Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dephcon5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: george

VM Disk Backup Selection

Post by dephcon5 »

When I create a job I have the disk scsi 0:0 selected for backup I DO NOT want the subsequent vm disks backed up, just the VM's system disk. However when I select "selected disks" and only check the first disk and then save the job, the job ultimately fails as it attempts to backup ALL the disks and not just the selected disk 0:0. Then I go back and check the job properties and it shows both disks are selected.
So I delete the job and re-create it and it all does the same thing. I want the job the job to backup disk 0:0 ONLY and no matter what I do, the job changes it self and goes back to selecting both 0:0 and 0:1.

Is this a setting with the VM itself and should the disks be defined as Independent in V-Center?

this is running Veeam 4 with vSphere

this was a problem in the past with ESX3.5 and Veeam 3.1 so versions of VMware or Veeam dont seem to matter.

Job details below

0 of 0 files processed

Total VM size: 20.00 GB
Processed size: 0.00 KB
Processing rate: 0 KB/s
Backup mode: SAN/NBD without changed block tracking
Start time: 11/13/2009 12:15:29 PM
End time: 11/13/2009 12:16:26 PM
Duration: 0:00:56

Enabling changed block tracking...
Changed block tracking cannot be enabled: virtual hardware version 7 or later required.

Creating snapshot
CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-301", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "False"
File <unspecified filename> is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore '<unspecified datastore>
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: VM Disk Backup Selection

Post by Gostev »

Hello George, with VMware snapshot operation cannot be performed on per-disk level, it is only possible to create snapshot of the whole VM with all disks. Excluded disks will not be processed by Veeam Backup, but will still be snapshot when VM snapshot is taken. If you want to exclude VM disk from snapshots, mark disk as Independent in the VM hardware settings using VIC.