Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edoduda
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: help desk

VM replication

Post by edoduda »

Hi everyone,

Recently we bought veeam backup&replication enterprise licence becase we needed it for our DR site. When we made first replication we stuck in problems with incremental replication of vm's.
Only one vm machine replicates incremetnal for all others error appears that there is allreday vm machine with name xxxxx_replica on the other side. Does veem supports incremental vm replication at all?

thanks a lot for help.

regads
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VM replication

Post by foggy »

Hello, can you see the xxxxx_replica VMs already exist on the target side prior running replication job? Note, that you cannot register several VMs with the same name in the inventory.

Replication is incremental, meaning that all subsequent job runs after the initial run transfer only those data blocks that have changed since the last replication cycle. You can review the corresponding user guide section to get better understanding.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Additionally, you may want to take a look at this topic in order to find possible solution for your issue.

Thanks.
edoduda
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: help desk

Post by edoduda »

First I've replicated all vms to other side. I can see all vm's on primary site and on DR site. So now when i want to replicate incremental and only one vm can go through i don't know why. Only one vm replicates changes from the first one, all others get an error that replica with that name already exists.

regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

From what I can see, your replication job is trying to register VMs in the VI and falls when sees that these VMs already exist. Such registration is only expected during first replication run, while all incremental runs are not supposed to do it. Thus, can you confirm that you haven’t recreated or changed the default job?

If you have, then, probably, replica mapping is the solution for your issue. With this functionality you can easily map an original VM in the production site to an already existing VM in the DR site. For example, this VM can be represented either by replica that has been created previously, or VM restored from the backup file. During the first run, only differences between VMs will be calculated and transferred. These differences later will be used to synchronize the state of VM in DR site and the original one in Production site.

Please, be aware that when you perform replica mapping, all snapshots of the mapped VM (the VM running on the target host) will be deleted. As a result, you will have only the most recent state of the mapped VM.

For more information, use User Guide (p.49).

Hope this helps.

Thanks.