Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
robinhollins
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robin Hollins

VMware on AWS

Post by robinhollins »

Not sure if I'm placing this in the right section but Has anyone any experience of using Veeam and "VMware on AWS" and could pass on recommendations / lessons learnt?

We are setting this up in a few weeks and I am slightly confused about the placement of the EC2 proxy and how it will actually work. I'm concerned that the proxy needs to be placed correctly in order to avoid needless data egress charges and I'm slightly unclear if it should be located in the same VPC as the ESX hosts? I'm of the understanding that it may be best to have it in a separate VPC but the same AZ and that should reduce costs?

Any advice would be welcome as we are only just starting on the road to using it and I'm probably completely misunderstanding documentation. :lol:

Thanks
Rob
anthonyspiteri79
Veeam Software
Liked: 207 times
Full Name: Anthony Spiteri

Re: VMware on AWS

Post by anthonyspiteri79 » 2 people like this post

Hey there Rob.

Do you mean EC2 Linux Repository? The Veeam Proxy can live within the SDDC vCenter no worries. This VeeamKB https://www.veeam.com/kb2414 covers most of the basics around how to set up and configure Veeam components for VMC. As long as the EC2 instance housing the Linux repo is in the some AZ you shouldn't be up for any egress costs. In addition to that we will shortly have Update 4 out which has the Cloud Tier as a feature. This can be used to keep the storage costs of the EC2 instance down and have the majority of your backup data sitting in Amazon S3.

The only thing I would caution about having everything in the same is AZ is dealing with AZ failures (which do occur) is that you have all your data effectively in the same site. I'd suggest looking at taking at least one copy of the data offsite via a Backup Copy Job to a remote location, or to a Veeam Cloud Connect Backup Service Provider.

If you have a spare ten or so minutes, check out the first section of the VMworld Talk https://videos.vmworld.com/global/2018/ ... ayer/19282 myself and Michael Cade gave last year where I talk about availability for VMC. We also have some automation which can be leveraged to make setup easier.
Anthony Spiteri
Regional CTO APJ & Lead Cloud and Service Provider Technologist
Email: anthony.spiteri@veeam.com
Twitter: @anthonyspiteri
robinhollins
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Robin Hollins

Re: VMware on AWS

Post by robinhollins »

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the quick reply - those links are certainly going to help us in the next couple of weeks. I'm aware update 4 is going to offer new features we can utilize and I'll look forward to having a play around with it in the near future.