Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
veeeammeupscotty
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JP

Volume Shadow Copies Missing After Restore

Post by veeeammeupscotty »

I understand that veeam explorer does not support browsing previous versions of files via shadow copies, but even when I restore the full VM from backup, the shadow copies are either gone or not visible (from within operating system after booting). Is this expected behavior and is there any workaround? My assumption is that maybe Windows sees the disk ID as different after the restore and it won't read the copies even though they are there. vssadmin from the command line doesn't see them either.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Volume Shadow Copies Missing After Restore

Post by foggy »

I can't suggest why they are not there off the top of my head, since they are supposed to be. Any chance the corresponding folder is just excluded during backup?
veeeammeupscotty
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JP

Re: Volume Shadow Copies Missing After Restore

Post by veeeammeupscotty »

For this particular job, Application-aware processioning is not enabled, nor is guest file system indexing. I assume these are not required for shadow copies to be retained during an image-level backup right? The volume that I'm working with is NTFS with deduplication enabled, but I'll do some testing with a non-deduplicated volume to see if the behavior persists and then open a case.