Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

WAN Acceleration, am I doing it right?

Post by briguyiu »

Greetings,

We are using two separate backup copy jobs to send our older file server (win2k8 r2), and our new file server (win2k12 r2), to our offsite datacenter. We have an IPSEC tunnel between the two sites, with no guaranteed bandwidth. Each side has a WAN accelerator deployed.

-Since the OS's are different versions and the data isn't the same, does it make sense to keep them separate, using the same WAN accelerators on each side, or should they have their own WAN accelerators per job?
-Would there be any benefit to them being in the same job?
-To see the benefits of WAN acceleration, do you have to be copying OS's and data of the same type, or just by learning the data, will it speed up the incremental on the individual jobs?

I ask these questions, as in all of the demo's I have seen, it is another server of the same type being added to the same job or utilizing the same accelerators and flying through.

Thanks as always.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: WAN Acceleration, am I doing it right?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Brian,
briguyiu wrote:-Since the OS's are different versions and the data isn't the same, does it make sense to keep them separate, using the same WAN accelerators on each side, or should they have their own WAN accelerators per job?
Having separate WAN accelerators for each job doesn't look like a good configuration, as you could potentially have similar blocks in these VMs, thus sharing cache catalog does make sense.
briguyiu wrote:-Would there be any benefit to them being in the same job?
I don't think so. You can keep your jobs separate, but use the same pair of WAN accelerators and cache folder.
briguyiu wrote:-To see the benefits of WAN acceleration, do you have to be copying OS's and data of the same type, or just by learning the data, will it speed up the incremental on the individual jobs?
It is both ;) You will benefit from copying similar operating systems as well as your WAN accelerators will "learn" from the data flowing through them.

Here is an on-line help center web page for further reading > http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/70/v ... celerators

Thank you!
briguyiu
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Brian Killigrew

Post by briguyiu »

Thanks Vitality! I appreciate the confirmation.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

However, having mulitple WAN can offer the advantage of getting better throughput since a single source WAN accelerator can only process a single backup copy at a time. Of course, if a single job fills up your WAN it might not matter, but if you have a WAN with some reasonable bandwidth it can take two or more WAN accelerators, and associated Backup Copy jobs, to take full advantage of the available bandwidth.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

WAN Accelerators are designed specifically for slow connections. Generally speaking, a pair of WAN Accelerators to saturate up to 50-100 Mbps connections (with SSD cache, multi-core source WAN accelerator and B&R 7.0 R2 update).

So, when you deploy WAN Accelerators and see, for instance, that they can't saturate existing connection, you can deploy additional pair of WAN Accelerators with corresponding backup copy jobs linked to them.

Thanks.