Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
norelco
Influencer
Liked: never

WAN Acceleration Feature

Post by norelco »

Hello

Apologies for the long winded email but I want to get my head straight on this so probably best explain my thought process! In my test environment I've setup a backup job with 6 x Win2008 VMs and have the following stats in my first full backup:

Data Read: 178.2 GB
Transferred: 51.9 GB
Backup Size: 36.4 GB
Dedupe: 1.4x
Compression: 3.4x

So being that 178.2 / 3.4 = ~52GB, I'm assuming that the Veeam Proxy is compressing data (but not de-duplicating data) that it is sending to the repository. Once it's at the repository it then gets deduplicated saving a further 1.4x (51.9 / 1.4 = ~37GB so that's about right).

So if I was to take a weekly backup and tell my Veeam Proxy to send it to a Backup Repository in another site, I would need to transmit approximately 52Gb per week because the compression and de-duplication only works within each job itself. I would then be storing approx 104Gb in my remote backup repository.

However, with WAN acceleration, it would be able to see that most of the data that I'm transmitting is identical to data already stored in the remote repository and so will only transmit, for instance, the 5Gb of changes? Is my understanding correct there? What happens with actual files on disk? Will the remote proxy still end up with approx 104Gb of data on disk or will it have approx 57Gb on disk?

thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Re: WAN Acceleration Feature

Post by Gostev »

Hello, yes your understanding is perfectly correct. The actual files on disk in the target repository will be the same as in the source repository in terms of size. Thanks!
norelco
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: WAN Acceleration Feature

Post by norelco »

Excellent, thanks for confirming that. I have another question on recovering from offsite repository but I think this has been discussed a few times so will do some searching/reading before posting another question!

thanks for your help