Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

WAN Optimisation in v7

Post by homerjnick »

I have a 10Mb link to our DR site and we saturate it with replicating our VM's via Veeam.

It works very well but I am interested in the WAN Optimisation in v7. We have tested Riverbed and Silverpeak that both work well with Veeam traffic and it may be cheaper for us to reduce the bandwidth of our DR site and whack in a WAN optimiser.

But Veeam claim their inbuilt WAN Optimisation in version 7 can beat any WAN Optimiser currently on the market.

Is it too soon or can Veeam release any statistics or case studies on their WAN Optimisation?

We are renegotiating our MPLS network and senior management want to make cuts in costs and bandwidth will be an area where we can. If the WAN Optimisation inside Veeam means we can reduce our bandwidth AND not purchase a WAN Optimiser then its a win-win scenario...

Do we have any stats, case studies or tests from Veeam themselves yet or is it way too soon?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: WAN Optimisation in v7

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Nick,
Thank you for your interest in WAN accelerator, it is a great feature designed specifically to resolve issues you described in your post.

For the case studies and metrics I can only refer to the upcoming webinar describing all the mechanics of WAN acceleration, it is scheduled on 20th of June and you can register here

Hope that it would answer your questions.
Cheers!
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

Much appreciated Dmitry...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

We've seen up to 50x reduction in transfer size with built-in WAN acceleration... could be even more depending on workloads and amount of virtual machines you are backing up remotely.
homerjnick
Expert

Post by homerjnick »

I was getting on average 10x with WAN appliances so 50x is impressive.

Attended a VMWare User Group last week and Veeam was there and did their speech on where they came from and where they are going...it was very impressive...funnily enough I was the only user in attendance who uses Veeam but I think after the talk you might have had a few more signed up.

Version 7 can't come soon enough now...sad to learn it is at the end of the year though!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Version 7 can't come soon enough now...sad to learn it is at the end of the year though!
Q3 of this a year (when the V7 is scheduled to come out) seems to be a foreseeable future. So, stay tuned. :D