Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
flavor4real
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: DS

Wanting Additional Veeam B&R setup

Post by flavor4real »

Hello,
How is it going. I just need to confirm a few things. We have a VM which host the Veeam Backup & Replication v5, which backs up a total of ~88 VM's with a large data scale. We planning to setup 2 additional Veeam Backup VM's to balance the load. I understand that there is no real issue doing so and I should be able to have 3 Veeam Backup VM's running, and can manage all over Veeam Enterprise Manager. This is correct, right?

I have a few additional questions but will post them later.
flavor4real
Expert

Re: Wanting Additional Veeam B&R setup

Post by flavor4real »

Here is a additional question I have. Once I setup a 2nd Veeam Backup VM. I will be asked to point to a specific SQL database or use a existing on. I assume that each Veeam Backup VM has it's own SQL setup on the specific VM, correct? Or do all Veeam backup VM's have to point to one central SQL database?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I understand that there is no real issue doing so and I should be able to have 3 Veeam Backup VM's running, and can manage all over Veeam Enterprise Manager. This is correct, right?
Absolutely.
Once I setup a 2nd Veeam Backup VM. I will be asked to point to a specific SQL database or use a existing on. I assume that each Veeam Backup VM has it's own SQL setup on the specific VM, correct?
Yes, that's correct. Each backup server should have its own database, but you can share the same SQL Instance across multiple backup servers.
flavor4real
Expert

Post by flavor4real »

Yes, that's correct. Each backup server should have its own database, but you can share the same SQL Instance across multiple backup servers.
Does this mean, I should share the same SQL Instance across multiply Servers? would this be a key factor for a replication setup on each Veeam Backup VM?
Or,
I can simple setup Veeam Backup on each VM, each with each own db, manage all over the Veeam Enterprise Manager, and then simple setup replication on each Veeam Backup VM as needed?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

There is no need to share the same SQL Server, it was just one of the possible ways to go. Yes, you can simply install Veeam backup servers on multiple VMs and use their own SQL Servers (databases). In this case all your backup consoles will be managed by Enterprise Manager.