Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Guillaume
Novice
Liked: never

"was not found in hierarchy" issue

Post by Guillaume »

Hi

I have a second issue .....

I have a job running well since 1 week every evening at 10:00 pm ... and since yesterday, it failes after backing up the first VM

here is the job summary :

Analyzing object "TMP-XP" (vm-41), host "192.168.1.100"
Object "TMP-XP" (ref "vm-41") was not found in hierarchy
Analyzing object "Machine XP" (vm-44), host "192.168.1.100"
Object "Machine XP" (ref "vm-44") was not found in hierarchy
Analyzing object "XP-FTP" (vm-71), host "192.168.1.100"
Object "XP-FTP" (ref "vm-71") was not found in hierarchy

1 of 1 VMs processed (0 failed, 0 warnings)

Total size of VMs to backup: 30,00 GB
Processed size: 30,00 GB
Avg. performance rate: 24 MB/s

Start time: 26/02/2009 10:18:37
End time: 26/02/2009 10:40:19

any idea ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: "was not found in hierarchy" issue

Post by Gostev »

Hello, most likely these VMs got removed or re-created (which changed they unique IDs - refID). VMware Infrastructure can no longer find them and returns us this error.

When you setup your job by granularly specifying VMs, VMs are memorized in the job configuration using their unique IDs. This is why we recommend that you organize your jobs on container level (host, cluster, folder) instead of specifying VMs granularly. Doing this will not make you jobs start failing when some VMs are removed, while the newly added VMs will be automatically picked up by the job without the need of reorganizing it. Benefits all around!
azubiiai
Novice
Liked: never

Post by azubiiai »

Hi,

so far, i have the same problem. I understood your previous post. The VM has its ID. When i backup a VM only, veeam backup looks up the ID. On a complete restore the ID is changing by registring the VM.

So my structure of vc looks like this: Datacenter-->Cluster with the ESX Hosts listed-->Resource Pools-->Single VM s

How can i backup for e.g. two VM s out of Resource Pool 3? :?:

Thank you for your answer
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, from other support cases we have found that "was not found in hierarchy" issue typically happens when instead of adding Virtual Center server to Veeam Backup customer adds individual ESX hosts. In that case, if VM is moved from original ESX host (with VMotion for instance), Veeam Backup can no longer find it there and fails. Where as setting up the job with Virtual Center added makes Veeam Backup VMotion aware and able to pickup VM no matter what ESX server it is located on.

As for your question, you can do either of this:
- Add whole cluster to the job.
- Add those 2 VMs individually.
- Create a VM folder, add those 2 VMs to folder, and add folder to the job using "VM and folders view". I found that many customers prefer to organize the jobs based on VM folders.

But again the key thing is to have Veeam Backup populated with Virtual Center as opposed to individual hosts.