Way to detect if Fast CLone for ReFS is enabled

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Way to detect if Fast CLone for ReFS is enabled

Veeam Logoby ian0x0r » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 am

Hi there,

Is there a registry key set somewhere to show that a ReFS repository in server 2016 has been enabled for fast clone? I know a message pops up if you are adding a repository that is not fast clone capable. Just wondered how this is tracked.

Thanks,

Ian
https://www.snurf.co.uk
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard

Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Ian Sanderson

Re: Way to detect if Fast CLone for ReFS is enabled

Veeam Logoby tdewin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:03 am

Do you need just to detect if the repo is detected as ReFS?
check this : veeam-backup-replication-f2/upgrade-to-2016-and-9-5-t38992.html#p217323
tdewin
Veeam Software

Liked: 351 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Veeam Logoby ian0x0r » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:05 am

Thanks Timothy,

That's a useful tip. Does that guarantee though that fast clone feature will be used?

Thanks,

Ian
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard

Veeam Logoby tdewin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 am

If ReFS 3/Windows 2016 is detected, fast clone should be used automatically.
tdewin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby SBarrett847 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 pm

I feel this needs to be Clearer in the GUI - I have Jobs seeded from customer sites that don't take advantage of Cloning until they are compacted by Veeam in the new Repo

I find it very difficult to actually get the compact to run, and also very difficult to quickly tell if the Fast Cloning is then enabled.

I have other Jobs that report [Partial fast clone] when merging which makes no sense - I am constantly babysitting/ manually re-running these jobs from new customers until the point at which Fast Cloning kicks in and I can then set the GFS up for the customer.

It is time consuming for me and not clear what Veeam is doing from the GUI. It is surprising that the GUI is so poor for something that is very much a Major Feature in 9.5
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Veeam Logoby rendest » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:45 pm

We are seeing several more conditions in which fastclone isn't being used either, so maybe some clear notifications stating why could be helpful.

One occasion was when a repo is drained and formatted to be used as a ReFS repo (but not removed from the Veeam repository inventory), the align block checkbox is never checked, and fastclone is never used.
Another occasion was when data was migrated from another lun with a different block size, and fastclone couldn't be used since blocksize was different (this was a reverse incremental job, hence a manual active full backup was required)

In both occasions everything seemed ok, until looking through the logs and seeing Veeam wasn't happy with the situation.
rendest
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stef

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:16 am

It's a very simple rule: both the backup repository and the backup files in the repository must be created by Veeam 9.5 for fast clone to work.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2318 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby SBarrett847 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:44 am

That is understood, however making sure both the backup repository and the backup files in the repository are created by Veeam 9.5, does not guarantee that fast clone is going to work. The problem being highlighted is that the GUI is not clear that this major Feature of 9.5 is not operating for the Job.
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:00 pm

SBarrett847 wrote:making sure both the backup repository and the backup files in the repository are created by Veeam 9.5

It does, actually... or at least I am not aware of any scenario where it does not? For example, all scenarios you have listed above do not meet either of these requirements.

GUI highlights if fast clone is being used with [fast clone] tag next to each supported operation.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2318 times
Full Name: Anton Gostev

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:18 pm 1 person likes this post

Not sure which additional confirmationyou may need, in the logs maybe? Unless there's an inconsistency here, logs and UI would show you the exact same information, that is either fast clone is used, or not. I've already experienced a couple of scenarios where fast clone was not used, and as Anton said, they both showed that not all the conditions were met.

For example, once we had to reformat a volume originally created with 4k clustes, with 64k. After we moved back the existing chains into the volume, the first weekly synthetic full actually failed to leverage fast clone. That was totally expected, since by moving the files with regular file explorer copy/paste operations, we actually reset any alignment of the custers. That synthetic full got created as a ful blown file, and only after another week we experienced the fast clone on another synthetic full creation. At first sight, you may have said that all the files used in the first synthetic had been created by VBR 9.5 , but in reality they have been "created" by windows explorer. Only after a week all the conditions had been met. (also because the file were previously aligned at 4k, so the alignment had to be re-done for 64k).
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1295 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby rendest » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 am

Thats exactly what we had, only we used reverse incremental, and fastclone is never used until a manual active full.
rendest
Influencer

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Stef

Veeam Logoby ian0x0r » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:25 am

Going back to my original point, other than not receiving a popup stating "This volume is NOT fast clone capable" or words to that effect when you first create the repository there is not anything to state that the backup repository is fast clone capable unless you already know this to be true. This could be used a decision for backup placement by a backup admin.
ian0x0r
Veeam Vanguard

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:16 am

I've moved a couple of backup jobs onto a new ReFS repository. One job, I deleted all the restore points and started it again from scratch, and it is showing [fast clone] when doing a merge at the end of the job, however I don't see this on the others that I moved over.

What do I need to do to get the others to use fast clone, I cannot delete the restore points on these jobs?
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Veeam Logoby tdewin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:19 am

You need to run an active full on the job to use ReFS functionality. This is because the blocks need to be aligned in the backup files, which is not the case by default with the backups that you have copied from NTFS for example
tdewin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby btmaus » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 am

OK thank you, I'll go ahead and that.
btmaus
Expert

Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Glenn L

Next