Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

What about the agents...

Post by verre »

Hi everybody, I've one doubt about how and when Veeam installs an agent inside the guest. Veeam says that it is agent "free" in contrast of "agent-less" in order to highlight the difference compared to others competitors. I know that sometimes veeam installs his own patented agent before starting a backup and remove it after the backup is ended. My question is:
does Veeam use to install (and then remove) his agent only when "Enable application-aware image processing" is selected on the backup job? Or does Veeam install some agents in other situations, like, for example, when "enable guest file system indexing" is checked?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: What about the agents...

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Valentino,
My question is: does Veeam use to install (and then remove) his agent only when "Enable application-aware image processing" is selected on the backup job?
Veeam Backup & Replication does not deploy persistent agents inside VMs. Instead, it uses a runtime coordination process on every VM that is started once the backup operation is launched, and removed as soon as it is finished. This helps avoid agent-related drawbacks such as pre-installing, troubleshooting and updating.
When you enable guest file system indexing, VBR deploys a runtime process inside VM as well.
Thanks.
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Post by verre »

Ok thanks. So no agent stay longer installed on guest.. it sounds good. Besides the two already mentioned scenarios, are there other situations in which Veeam installs agents inside guests?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Valentino,

Please read this post for the explaination of differences between Veeam's runtime process approach and classic agent-based solutions.

Thanks.
DavidReimers
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Reimers

[MERGED] Does Veeam install an agent within guests?

Post by DavidReimers »

Hi,

I've done a bit of searching and I can't find any threads talking about this, but I have a customer who has a definitive requirement to know.

Does Veeam install any sort of agent or driver in the guest VMs, either for VM-level backups or for guest/application processing?

Customer is currently using ShadowProtect, and StorageCraft are spreading FUD that Veeam isn't as good 'and it injects an agent into the VM, which is a security concern for many'.

Thanks,
Dave.
DavidReimers
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David Reimers

Re: Does Veeam install an agent within guests?

Post by DavidReimers »

Answered my own question. Found this after a Google search: veeam-backup-replication-f2/what-about- ... 24179.html
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Generally speaking, agent means persistence, while AAIP runtime process is removed as soon as it's finished its activity. Thanks.