Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
james411
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

What is the point of the time schedule for weekly backup GFS

Post by james411 »

On a backup copy job, if using GFS retention, you can set the day and time a weekly occurs (default is Sun at 22:00). I'm confused by the description of this in the UI. It says "Full Backup will contain the VM state from restore point closest to the specified time."

I read the help documentation and it shows the Weekly backup cycle as just "putting aside" the last weekly full. So if we are just putting aside last weekly full, why are we specifying a time for what to include?

Here is the example GFS scheme I am referring to: http://helpcenter.veeam.com/backup/80/h ... cycle.html
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: What is the point of the time schedule for weekly backup

Post by foggy »

We are putting aside the full backup that contains VM state closest to the specified time. ;) So you specify the day and restore point containing VM state as of that day will be designated as weekly restore point. Once the full backup in the backup copy job chain reaches that day, it is put aside as a weekly full. The time allows to more precisely define the restore point that becomes weekly, in case you have several restore points during the day.