Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Morat
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

What's the best way to secure Veeam Credentials?

Post by Morat »

I've been looking into our backup infrastructure, hoping to secure against malware that is capable of capturing network passwords and using them to access backup storage and encrypting backups.
I've realised that presenting drives to the backup server as local drive via iSCSI isn't so smart if an attacker is capable of gaining access to the Backup Server so I'm looking to use a non-domain password to connect to a file share on a storage device.
Of course, this only holds if the attacker is unable to get the credentials held by VEEAM in its configuration.

Having read this Knowledge Base item: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Does anyone have any further advice for securing backup destinations against malware/hackers?
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: What's the best way to secure Veeam Credentials?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

There are some existing topics that answer this question, for example, someone uses rotated media or just plugs off the network cable to the repository.

However, securing a repository is one thing, but if you want to be protected from malware attacks, then following the 3-2-1 rule of backups should be a way to go.

Hope it helps!