Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jmardis
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Justin

When are new deduplication settings applied?

Post by jmardis »

Hello,

Hoping someone can clear this up for me. I am currently studying for my VMCE and ran across some conflicting information. My VMCE textbook on page 83 says
New deduplication settings are applied only after a new active full backup is created.
This seems to be validated by https://rhyshammond.com/changing-data-c ... -settings/ but then I ran across this page https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4 that says
You can change the inline data deduplication settings for existing backup jobs. New changes will not have any effect on previously created backup files in the backup chain. They will be applied to new backup files created after the settings were changed.

Inline Data Deduplication setting can be changed on the fly. You do not need to create a new full backup to enable/disable this setting. Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically apply the change to newly created backup files.
Thanks for you help in advance!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: When are new deduplication settings applied?

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Justin, the help page is correct. Please note that deduplication settings combine general inline deduplication setting and storage optimization (effective block size) settings, while changing the former doesn't require active full for the new setting to take effect, this is not the case with the latter. Thanks!
jmardis
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Justin

Post by jmardis » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the quick response. To make sure I understand this completely. If I enable or disable inline data deduplication it will not require an active full on the next job and any new backup files will take on the new settings? If I change the storage optimization setting then an active full will have to be completed for the new settings to be applied?

So If I get a question like "What effect will changing the deduplication settings for a backup job have?" I really don't have enough information to answer it because deduplication settings are a combination of inline dedup and storage optimization settings and they have different effects on the next job.

Previously created backup files are not affected by either setting.

Please correct me if I have this incorrect.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

You have understood everything correctly.