Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bjdboyer
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bill Boyer

Where do I see teh ReFS space savings in Veeam?

Post by bjdboyer » Dec 11, 2019 9:09 pm

I've set up a test environment and all the SOBR extents are ReFS on Win2016 server. The jobs are set to do weekly synthetic fulls. I've verify the job shows [fast clone]. When I go to the repository server and run a properties on the /Backups directory it shows 260GB size. This is the only thing on that drive. If I do a properties on the E: drive it shows used space of 187GB. based on that I'm assuming almost 80GB of block clone savings on that extent. But when I look in Veeam that extent is showing used space of 260GB, not apparently the reduced size due to the block cloning. Where can I see in Veeam these savings and report on them?

TIA,
Bill Boyer

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3969 times

Re: Where do I see teh ReFS space savings in Veeam?

Post by Gostev » Dec 11, 2019 10:42 pm

You do it in Windows Explorer. Right-click folder with backups, and look at Size vs. Size on disk.

And if I remember correctly, there was also a community script for gathering this info posted here around ReFS integration launch, however you'd have to search for this one yourself, since it was a long while ago already.

Thanks!

ober72
Service Provider
Liked: 104 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Re: Where do I see teh ReFS space savings in Veeam?

Post by ober72 » Jan 07, 2020 3:39 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Folks,

Luca has a great blog about this and a link to a utility called blockstat https://www.virtualtothecore.com/how-mu ... lockclone/
I found this very helpful. At the end of the day though in my humble opinion the ball on this is really in Microsoft's court. I think I heard that with 2019 REFS3 there would be some better reporting. On a side note don't mount a REFS3 volume created in Windows 2016 on Windows 2019 then try to mount back on Windows 2016 :) We did it in testing.. the joy of all those little surprises that come and bite you when you did not read the entire manual on changes between versions :)

cheers
Geoff Burke
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)