Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GTFbnelson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Nelson

Why do i get failed backup (license exceeded) when backing up 8 VMs

Post by GTFbnelson » Feb 24, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi all,
Im using the community version and running into an issue. Can someone help me figure out why I get the error: "Error: Unable to process workload: license has been exceeded" even though i am only backing up 8 VMs?
I thought the community version will back up to 10 vms?

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3335 times

Re: Why do i get failed backup (license exceeded) when backing up 8 VMs

Post by Gostev » Feb 24, 2019 8:48 pm 2 people like this post

Hello, you can see where your 10 licenses are allocated in the License Information dialog, and revoke it from objects you're no longer backing up. If everything looks correct there, then you may have to contact support for further investigation. Thanks!

GTFbnelson
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Brad Nelson

Post by GTFbnelson » Feb 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks Gostev, i was able to fix it with your instructions!

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3335 times

Post by Gostev » Feb 25, 2019 7:40 pm

No problems, glad I was able to help.

I wanted to clarify that this happens because Veeam licenses "per protected workload", where "protected" means having at least 1 restore point created in the past 31 days. So, after a certain machine stops being backed up, it will keep consuming the license for 31 days, after which it will be automatically released.

Usually, VMs are no longer backed up after they have been deleted. And we can't know if a VM was deleted on purpose, or by mistake. In cases when VM was deleted by mistake, and you perform its restore a few days after discovering that it's missing - you're basically realizing the main value of our product at this point. Which is why every VM keeps consuming the license for 31 days, while the restore is still likely to follow. However, in case of legitimate and permanent VM removal, we give you the ability to release its license immediately through the License Information dialog.