Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TexasSTX
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Spaulding

windows cluster for proxy and storage server

Post by TexasSTX »

I did a search, but couldn't find anything regarding using a cluster for a proxy and for a storage server.

Last week, we had an issue where for some reason, our windows server that acts as both a proxy server and storage repository experienced very high CPU and essentially froze the server. This event appears to be isolated from the Veeam application as the event log showed errors in SNMP features, which after removing and reinstalling, the issue was resolved. However, in the process, our backups failed for 3 days.

This led me to wonder if we could create a windows failover cluster and put the proxy on the cluster, so if one windows system goes down, the proxy continues to function. Following on that, the next question would be if we could set the repository to a windows failover cluster which use shared drives.

Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

TIA
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: windows cluster for proxy and storage server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
very high CPU and essentially froze the server
a cluster would not solve that. With a cluster, it would just also freeze the second node after some time. To solve it, I suggest to adjust the task limits to the hardware capabilities (or add hardware). If might also be faulty hardware. So synthetic load tests could also help to examine the problem (broken RAM, CPU, whatever)

As long as a proxy is a separate role, there is no need for a cluster. Proxies are load balanced / highly available just by placing multiple of them. If one fails, the backup server will use other proxies.

For windows failover cluster an repository: it does not work. If I remember correctly, then the failover works. But when it comes to failback, then it breaks. So this configuration is not supported.

Best regards,
Hannes