Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
mdamen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Maarten Damen

HP management agents and syslog. Strings do not match.

Post by mdamen »

I am trying to setup monitoring of HP hardware using the HP insight management agents and nworks.
For testing purposes I removed a physical disk from a logical disk array.
This resulted in the following message in syslog:

Code: Select all

Dec  8 13:55:24 esxtest cmaidad[27124]: Physical Drive Status Change: Slot 0 SCSI Bus 2 Target 1. Status is now Failed. 
I configured syslogd to sent syslog events to our nworks management server. This also works, the following is logged into the nworks eventlog:

However the alert does not appear in SCOM.
I think this is because the match is not made correctly (because the documentation talks about "hpasmd" as source, while this event has "cmaidad" as source)
Snippet from the documentation:

Was this functionality designed for an older version of the HP insight manager agents? We are running agent version 8.2.5 as recommended by VMware (http://www.vmware.com/support/esx25/doc ... links.html)

Any suggestions to get monitoring working is greatly appreciated.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: HP management agents and syslog. Strings do not match.

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Maarten,

Are you trying to setup hardware monitoring with cmaidad only? Actually, it is an additional HP agent that is aimed to monitor disk failures and unfortunately it is not supported out of the box right now.

However, can you tell us why are you trying to monitor hardware using syslog and not gathering data using SMASH? Also can you tell us what versions of ESX/Virtual Center do you have? Have you tried monitoring using CIM-SMASH, by enabling Hardware monitoring? If yes, can you share what hardware sensors did you see in SCOM console, at the topology node? Were there any disks populated?

It's weird that the disk removal didn't trigger an alert from CIM-SMASH data, so can you open a support ticket with us, and we would assist you with the proper setup of hardware monitoring.

Thank you.