Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
zuldera7
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brody Kilpatrick

Relationship between a VM, It's disk, and the Data Store

Post by zuldera7 »

I am working on a report, but Veeam is missing the relationship between the VM-Disk-Datastore. What I mean is, You can see the datastores a VM uses, but you don't know which disk is on which datastore. Does anyone know how to connect the dots?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Relationship between a VM, It's disk, and the Data Store

Post by Alec King »

Hi Brody,
Please confirm which version of Veeam MP you have - but I suspect 7.0 R2 or the new 8.0, so you will be missing the performance collection rule which links VM to virtual disk to datastore.

Since MP 7.0 R2, for better performance/scalability we moved certain very granular performance rules into a separate MP, which is not imported by default. It is called the 'High Granularity MP' and you can find it in the Resource Kit on the MP ISO.

There is full documentation on the ISO too, but in short - if you import this MP, and apply the required overrides for your target VMs, you will start to collect these two performance counters on VM disk usage -

Object: VMGuest-disk
Counter: outstandingIOs (sum readOIO and writeOIO)
Instance: Datastore name:Virtual disk name

Object: VMGuest-disk
Counter: usageRateKB/s (sum read + write rate)
Instance: Datastore name:Virtual disk name

As you can see, the Instance name is formed by combining Datastore name and Virtual Disk name. So for every datastore and for every virtual disk there will be a separate instance created.
If you use some logic to parse those instance names you should be able to build the report you need.

Do take care when applying the High-Granularity MP, especially in large environments, as a lot of performance data can be generated!

Hope that helps, let us know how the report building goes!

Cheers
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
zuldera7
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Brody Kilpatrick

Re: Relationship between a VM, It's disk, and the Data Store

Post by zuldera7 »

WOW, I just saw this. I don't know why I am not being notified of new messages. I don't know what version I have but I am looking into it now.