Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
kavanaghsteve
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: steve w

vCenter Heartbeat and nWorks

Post by kavanaghsteve »

Hi,

I'm looking at implementing nWorks in an environment that uses vCenter Heartbeat to provide HA of the vCenter service.

Does anyone have any experience with a deployment like this, and know if there are any issues I need to be aware of?

I'm assuming that seeing as the collectors talk to the API on port 443 all that should be required is configuring them to talk to the Heartbeat 'public' cluster IP or DNS name so that when Heartbeat flips between vCenter nodes nWorks always connects to the active instance?

Thanks,

Steve
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: vCenter Heartbeat and nWorks

Post by Alec King »

Hi Steve,

We have not done extensive testing of this scenario; but essentially you are correct - our monitoring connection via the vCenter API would simply be re-directed (with all other traffic) through the VC-Heartbeat connection.
As I understand it VC-Heartbeat (akak NeverFail) actually does app-specific packet filtering to direct traffic to the 'live' instance of vCenter in the cluster. As long as our API 443 (default) traffic is correctly directed and authentication also passed correctly then nworks should have no issues.

Cheers
Alec