Alert for network connectivity

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Alert for network connectivity

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi

I want to know when any of my VM's lose network connectivity for any reason (OS crash, NIC disabled, wrong VLAN, physical switch/gateway failure) we used to use SNMP or basic ping for this, but I'd like to move away from those tools and rely on Veeam One for everything if possible. It would be good if the actual Veeam One server also pinged the VM's that it can see rather than just collecting alerts from the hosts.

I would like a single window to see if everything is green, as right now things may look green on Veeam One, but some of my VM's might not actually be connected and working.

Thanks
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Re: Alert for network connectivity

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your suggestion, but based on my experience most companies have ping prohibited by firewall rules. That said, currently the only way to capture network connectivity issues is either to have an agent inside the guest OS or track VMware or Hyper-V events initiated by a host.

Anyway, we will discuss this FR internally, and will try to find other ways of monitoring VMs network connection state. Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby lando_uk » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:55 am

Yes, Server networks would have rules in place, but I'm guessing most server-to-server traffic, particularly ICMP would mostly be allowed or easily added. Pinging hundreds of machines from the Veeam One server could create more traffic, but no different to what a SCOM server or any of those other monitoring tools would do. It's really just the one thing Veeam One is missing meaning we have to still use other tools for this type of basic functionality.
lando_uk
Expert

Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Mark

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, maybe we will be able to add this an option down the road (unless we find a better solution to detect this).
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Return to Veeam ONE