Historical guest disk space report graph - Feature request

Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V

Historical guest disk space report graph - Feature request

Veeam Logoby ChrisGundryCEGA » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:34 am

Hi,

We have a bit of software that we would like to replace as it only has one useful feature to us and I know that VeeamOne has the data to replace it.

Basically it gives us a graph of all of our physical (I know VeeamOne can't do this (whish it could) but we are going ot virtualise the remaining machines so this will go away) and virtual machines guest disk space over time on a per disk basis. So we can go on the graph and see what the C: drive disk space usage was on X day and then see how it changed over the following days/weeks. This is very useful because you can see if the low disk space condition just occured because 50GB of data was added or if it has been sat at 10.1% usage for weeks and a small addition of say 150mb has pushed it into a low condition. Without a historical usage graph its difficult to know this.

Now I know VeeamOne has this guest disk space usage data because it shows it in the monitor GUI when you click on the VM. I also know it stores it rather than just displaying it (See below).

I have also found the following report: VMware overview> Guest disk free space> Gives you a list of all the VMs and their disk usage. The problems with this report for us are:
1. It can't be filtered per VM, see 2 & 3
2. It takes a while to generate because it does all VMs, see 1
3. If we want to look at growth over a long period like the last 2 years, then this takes a VERY long time and makes the report window hang a fair bit
4. Once you do get this report it still doesn't help because it is just numbers, no useful graph for us.

However, if you click the VM name on the last screen of the report then you get almost exactly what we want in terms of a graph, it shows the disk usage of each disk, over time.

Request:
So my request is:
- A dedicated report so we can skip straight to a report we need
- Ability to specify VM name/s and a date range to report on
- Ideally we could also specify a guest disk letter to report on as well
- Lastly, if possible we would like to have an additional counter. At the moment we have used space and free space. We would also like to see overall capacity, ie the allocated C: drive size. This would be handy to see because if there is a big jump in free space, it could be because lots of files were deleted or it could be that someone just expanded the disk by x amount.

Thanks!
ChrisGundryCEGA
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Re: Historical guest disk space report graph - Feature reque

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:57 pm

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detailed post! I see your point, but selecting 2 years as a period you want analyze data for can indeed take some time and it is absolutely expected due to the amount of data that has to be queried. Filtering VMs might be possible to do with Business View groups, so this might also help in your case. Finally, did you have a chance to review "VMware Raw Performance Data" report and select VM guest disks as a counter (monitored sub-system) to build the report against? This might be exactly what you're looking for based on what I've understood so far.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1266 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby ChrisGundryCEGA » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi Vitaliy,

I understand why it takes a long time at the moment, but I am asking to reduce that time by selecting only the machine I am interested in. You can't do that at the moment. If you allowed the 'Virtual infrastructure' to drill down from DC>Cluster/Host>Resources (VMs/datastores) like you can in the VeeamOne GUI then this would be exactly what we want.

On some reports you can specify an include/exclude list but on others you cannot, which is annoying.

Business view - This isn't really practical as this is an ad-hoc request. We can't setup a business view/group each time we want to look at a particular VMs historical disk space.

Raw performance data - I have looked at this view and it is the closest to what we want for sure. But it doesn't show the overall space, only used and free space At the moment we will be using this view/report.

I guess it would be nice to be able to bypass reports completely actually. The other views in the VeeamOne client like CPU/memory/datastore usage all allow you to view historical data, right in the GUI. Why not guest disk space? If that could be added to the client that would be amazing for us!

Thanks
ChrisGundryCEGA
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:40 pm

Ok, good that we have found a temp solution for your know. We will discuss internally if guest disks info can be added to the Monitor Client in our future releases. Thanks for the feedback, Chris!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1266 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby ChrisGundryCEGA » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks!
ChrisGundryCEGA
Enthusiast

Return to Veeam ONE