Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
esoo
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Erik Soosalu

v9.0 to v9.5 upgrade issue

Post by esoo »

Support case ID: 02815043

I'm just leaving this has as this is utterly ridiculous. I just ran in the issue with TLS and the upgrade as stated in this kb: https://www.veeam.com/kb2265

Support is basically saying, "Sorry, can't help, that's the design" and you're going to have to enable TLS1.0.

Well it seems like they don't understand what it can take to try and make a change like that on a production cluster. As I wrote back to support, I've now got to go through a process like this to just upgrade:
-Approval from Infosec
-Approval of all teams using the SQL server to have the nodes rebooted more than once
-Scheduling of a change management ticket to enable TLS 1.0
-Approval and vetting through the Change Management meeting which only happens once per week
-Actual roll out of the settings
-Reboot of the SQL nodes
-Application teams testing to ensure that applications are still functional
-Update VeeamOne
-Scheduling of a change management ticket to disable TLS 1.0
-Approval and vetting through the Change Management meeting which only happens once per week
-Actual roll out of the settings
-Reboot of the SQL nodes
-Application teams testing to ensure that applications are still functional

And all of the actual changes will have to be schedule for after hours.

It really is lazy coding to not check for what is available in TLS and demand a protocol that is not enabled on the server. Especially when this is an upgrade and the old version doesn't require it's use.

I know this is venting, but I also know this is the only way development actually sees anything that is going on.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: v9.0 to v9.5 upgrade issue

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Erik,
I understand your point. Indeed there is an upgrade issue related to TLS version 1.2 remote SQL. However you can install Native Client as a workaround.
It turns out that that support engineers hadn't provided you with the workaround, so I've asked higher level of support to chime in. They should contact you soon.
Thanks!