Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
Avshalom
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Avshalom

Veeam ONE/Reporter Powershell

Post by Avshalom »

hello everybody,

Do you know if there is a possibility to get the veeam reporter or veeam one monitor information through powershell?
for example, cpu usage(mhz) for VM for the last month, or Disk IO usage, memory usage etc..

i found on the internet that previous versions of the reporter was including powershell commands, is there any cmdlets on version 7 too?

anyway if there's any way to get this information through powershell it would be very nice...
Also SQL Queries might be solution though, if you know how to get it,

thanks guys.
all the best...
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam ONE/Reporter Powershell

Post by veremin »

Unfortunately, Veeam ONE doesn't have PowerShell module any more. We've removed it, as not many people were interested in it. Thanks.
Avshalom
Influencer

Post by Avshalom »

what about getting the information through the sql server queries?
any help with that?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

what about getting the information through the sql server queries?
It's possible, but we don't publish the particular instructions, as the content of database is constantly changing with every product patch, version. We don't want to destroy any custom data source. You can try and find a way yourself on your own risk, though.

Anyway, your voice for getting PS module back is counted.

Thank you for your understanding.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Avshalom, can you please tell me a bit more what you're trying to achieve with this?
Avshalom
Influencer

Post by Avshalom »

Thanks Vitaly,

i have a script for gathering lot of information on our vm's, at the moment i'm exporting cpu usage mhz/memory active/usage from the veeam reporter to excel file and then importing the results for each vm with it name through the script,

i'ts mainly for optimizing the vm's hardware settings, by cpu/ram/IOPS and get summary by cost/usage etc.

if i would be able to get the information with powershell directly from the veeam reporter history, it will be wonderful and a great shortcut,
i'm also checking the get-cli/get-esxtop but i rather prefer get it from the veeam directly without the need to export performance report,

again thanks for your interest and help.
all the best

Avshalom
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for that clarifications, much appreciated. Have you considered using prebuild over/under sized VMs reports in Veeam ONE to get hardware recommendations on CPU and Memory resources?
Avshalom
Influencer

Post by Avshalom »

Thanks vitaly,
i know the reporter options,but i'm intending to specific solution,
i saw v.Eremin said it's possible to get it from the sql, but i'm not familiar a lot with sql queries, if it's not something for public, can you please direct me in private,

guys, if you know how to do it, please help...

Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Vladimir is correct that this is not a recommended way to do that, as we cannot guarantee that all table names, views and other SQL data will not be changed with the patch, major update etc. If I were you, I would not build this solution by querying our database directly.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

Avshalom wrote:i have a script for gathering lot of information on our vm's, at the moment i'm exporting cpu usage mhz/memory active/usage from the veeam reporter to excel file and then importing the results for each vm with it name through the script,
Can you clarify this step? It sounds like you're saying you're having Reporter generate an Excel file on a schedule, but then it's not clear to me what you're doing at this point. Are you manually manipulating the data in some way or is your Powershell consuming the data directly from the Excel file. I would think that having Powershell simply data directly from the Excel file wouldn't be much different than just pulling the data from the DB.
dnl
Novice

Post by dnl »

Hello,
I know this post has not been active for some time but I am looking too for a way to get maximum cpu and memory values from veeam one into powershell. Any news about native Powershell Module?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello dnl,

There are no updates to PowerShell module yet, however you can schedule a report that will contain CPU/Memory values and dump this data to a CSV file for further manipulations. Can you please tell us how you're going to use this data?

Thank you!
Jamesdld23
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: James Dumont

Post by Jamesdld23 »

I would be intersted too to have a Veeam One Powershell module : )
Could help me building custom attribute for Veeam One businee view.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi James,

How would you like to use PS module in Veeam ONE? Will it be used mostly to build reports or set some configuration/execute actions?

BTW, since you've mentioned Business View, can you please give us a bit more information on how you currently categorize VMs? Do you use static or dynamic groups?

Thanks!
Jamesdld23
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: James Dumont

Post by Jamesdld23 »

Of course,

Examples I see :
Get through powershell all custom attributes
Set specific custom attribute when a VM is created through internal tools (scripts)
Compare custom attributes setting difference with a CMDB

Regards,
James
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Thanks for further clarifications, this really helps. For now, I guess you can still use GUI to export all created attributes you've created for further comparison.

BTW, any reason why you didn't switch to vSphere Tags? The reason why I'm asking this is that Veeam ONE 9.5 doesn't support attributes any more, as the shift was made towards using Tags only.