Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
elwood
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Eliot Wood

Virtual Machine high IOPs

Post by elwood »

Can anyone help give some steer on determining what is an acceptable number of IOPs for a VM to be generating?
I have one VM generaing 1200 IOPs (3MS read latency, 1MS write latency), while every other VM behind it is significantly lower. The highest load VM below this one is just 43 IOPs

I'd like to know if there's an easy way in VeeamOne to assertain exactly how many IOPs the cluster / hosts / datastores are actually capable of.
Any help greatly appreciated!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Virtual Machine high IOPs

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Eliot and welcome to the forum!
elwood wrote:Can anyone help give some steer on determining what is an acceptable number of IOPs for a VM to be generating?
It really depends on the capabilities and applications the VM is running. The problem can arise if your virtual machines do not have enough I/O per second (IOPS) and IOPS available per virtual machine is less than 30.
elwood wrote:I'd like to know if there's an easy way in VeeamOne to assertain exactly how many IOPs the cluster / hosts / datastores are actually capable of.
This information should be given by your storage provider. Or use one of IOP calculators.

You can also create a report with IOPs metrics for all or just group of VMs/datastores. In order to do that navigate to Workspace > New report > Templates > Custom reports > VMware Custom Performance.
Or take a look at Top VMs IOPs in the relative dashboard.
Thanks.