Salesforce backup and restore for data, files and metadata
sumeet
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Sumeet P

Restore backup data from Prod to sandbox

Post by sumeet »

Hello,

We have a scenario, in which our backups are working fine for prod.
Now our client wants to test the restore, but the restore has to happen not to prod, but to sandbox or preprod.

We added the PreProd salesforce organziation, by using the Add Salesforce Organization option.
Now when I create the restore job, in Select salesforce organization option, restore from lists my Prod org, but the restore to does not list the PreProd Org? Why is this so?

Please note I have not setup a backup job for the PreProd Org nor have I setup a database for the PreProd Org.

If I start the restore job by selecting the PreProd Organization, then in the tab to select salesforce Org, I get a warning message - Selected Salesforce Org does not have any backup database connected. You can still restore to this Org from a compatible sandbox or production organization.

So based on this message, I should be able to restore to this PreProd Org - which is not working.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
-Sumeet.
anastasia.belyaeva
Veeam Software
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Anastasia Belyaeva

Re: Restore backup data from Prod to sandbox

Post by anastasia.belyaeva »

Hello
Application doesn't allow to restore to any Org, source and target Orgs should be "compatible". Meaning that target sandbox organization should be created from source Prod organization. Target could be full, partial or developer sandbox Org.

Regards.
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet »

Hello Anastasia,

Thanks for the details. I will check with my client if the PreProd Org was created from the Production Org?

Regards,
-Sumeet.
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet »

Hello Anastasia,

I have got a confirmation from my client that PreProd Org was spun out of production, so it is a copy. But still the restore does not allow selecting this Org.
Maybe I will open a case for this.
anastasia.belyaeva
Veeam Software
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Anastasia Belyaeva

Post by anastasia.belyaeva »

Hello, Sumeet
sure, please proceed with support case.
Also, reading your 1st post, please confirm with customer that they selecting "Restore from" = Prod (assuming backup for this Org is enabled) and "Restore To" = PreProd.
regards
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet »

Hello Anastasia,

Yes the backup is setup for the Prod Org. The Data and File type backup session are successful daily, but the Metadata type gets stuck and remains in in-progress state.
I have a case for this.
Not sure if this metadata not completing can cause the Restore To not listing the PreProd salesforce Org.

As mentioned in my first post, the PreProd Org does not have a backup job policy or postgres database associated to it.

Thanks,
-Sumeet.
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet » 1 person likes this post

This is not yet resolved. I have not opened a case yet, as waiting for my client to confirm that the authentication user for the PreProd Org has the same set of permissions and license as the prodution Org.
Once this is resolved and the restore still will not allow from Prod to PreProd (sandbox), then I will open a case.

-Sumeet.
MIvanov
VP, Product Management
Liked: 75 times
Full Name: Maxim

Post by MIvanov »

@sumeet While this should not be necessary, but have you tried to run a backup for PreProd org?
sumeet
Service Provider

Post by sumeet »

Hi,

Thanks we figured out the issue. The sandbox was added as a separate company in VBSF.
I read the documentation multiple times and it has the point that the sandbox must be from the same company, but I always understood this from salesforce point of view. I kept reading this in my mind that the sandbox must be generated from the same Salesforce Org as the one in the backup.

We figured this out as a trial, after trying mutliple things and over days, not having this worked, we decided to remove and add it back in the same company.

For dumps like me, I feel the doco should explicitly call out that the sandbox has to be added within the SAME COMPANY in VBSF.

But thanks, appreciate all the inputs and assistance.

-Sumeet.