Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TedLaurent
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Ted Laurent

Error: Failed to call RPC function 'LoadMedium': Incorrect function. Failed to move tape.

Post by TedLaurent »

I've got a ticket open for this issue but thought I'd post to the forum in case someone might have additional recommendations.

Currently the tape backup job to the fiber channel connected MSL 2024 fails with the error message listed in the subject line.

I've rebooted the tape library and rescanned it as suggested but no change.

Anyone seen this error?
TedLaurent
Influencer

Re: Error: Failed to call RPC function 'LoadMedium': Incorrect function. Failed to move tape.

Post by TedLaurent »

Addendum: GFS Media pool was set to automatically get tapes. Loading tapes manually into the pool allows tape backup job to complete normally.
HPE Command View MSL shows automatic. Anyone seen this happen before?
TedLaurent
Influencer

Re: Error: Failed to call RPC function 'LoadMedium': Incorrect function. Failed to move tape.

Post by TedLaurent »

For reference: Case # 07138096
sroberts6362
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Shawn Roberts

Post by sroberts6362 » 1 person likes this post

Hello, I am wondering if you were ever able to resolve this error and what your solution was. Thank you.
HBSR
Novice
Full Name: Herman

Post by HBSR »

Even the same issue error and messages: can find any good respons / solution / hint in the forums.
Greetings, HBSR
DAHKIS
Lurker
Full Name: David Hammes

Post by DAHKIS »

Hello, i was wondering if you Initialised the media in the Webui of the Tapeloader before trying to run a Tape Backup?
Vodochnik
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: John

Post by Vodochnik »

I had this and similar errors on defective tape drive. Reflash/reboots/rescans/reconnects helped just for a short period of time.
The solution was to replace a drive.
I have seen this error on incompatible SAS HBA too (Proliant, HP recommended controller), the solution was to replace the HBA with HBA from another vendor.

But first of all I would try to run a drive cleaning 2-3 times manually (I mean from web interface of the library).