Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jdubect
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Justin Dube

XFS Hardened Repo filling up - immutability dates changing?

Post by jdubect »

I created a backup job as follows:
- every 2 hours
- forward incremental
- synthetics weekly
- 7 days retention
- GFS 8 weekly 12 monthly

Job goes to a Ubuntu 22 XFS hardened repo - immutability is set to 7 days

We have about 4-5TB raw data and a 10TB storage allocation. What I noticed was within 1 week we filled that 10TB. Last week when it filled up I noticed the immutability date on alot of items was 4/29 - so i let the job fail for the week. Today I went in and checked and now the date is 5/6 - and VIB files from 4/13-4/14. So why is this? Maybe i just dont understand how it works?

To be clear - not asking for support want to understand how this works better
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2331 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: XFS Hardened Repo filling up - immutability dates changing?

Post by Mildur »

Helo Justin

I assume you missed the weekly full backup (because no storage or failing the job)?
In that case immutability for the entire backup chain since the last full backup has to be set to the same day as the newest full backup. Which makes it May 6th. All restore points in the same backup chain (full + incremental) must have the same immutable date, because we need all files or we cannot restore from newer incremental restore points.

I would recommend to open a support case. Let our support team confirm my assumption.
To make an assumption for the required backup storage, please use our caclulator:
https://www.veeam.com/calculators/simple/vbr/machines

Either there was a misconfiguration (support can confirm that from the logs) or you need much more backup storage for your daily changes.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jdubect
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Justin Dube

Re: XFS Hardened Repo filling up - immutability dates changing?

Post by jdubect »

that is a fair assumption. I adjusted the synthetic fulls to run daily; see if next week it cleans up - running the job again (gave the LUN more space) and then will pause it till next week. If all goes well (as I udnerstand it) this should free up some space