Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jingxi02
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Leslie Lei

Backup copy job not copying everthing from source

Post by jingxi02 »

We are testing the Veeam product in our lab and found an issue in the backup copy job. We have a Veeam for AWS appliance running in EC2. It backs up a couple of EC2 instances and save the backups to the S3 storage. We let the Veeam for AWS to run for a week and created 7 recovery points in S3. We then setup another VM running VBR in our office on Vsphere. We set a copy job (immediate copy) in this VBR VM to copy the S3 repo to the VM local storage. The job seems to be finished correctly. However, when I check the recovery point option in the VBR VM repo, I noticed only the last backup point from the S3 Repo was copied. That means only the day 7 in the S3 repo was copied to the VBR VM repo. I waited another day and checked the VBR VM repo. It shows the day 7 & day 8. So there are 8 recovery points in S3 repo, but only 2 recovery points in VBR local repo. When I check the product document here.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
It states "In the immediate copy mode, backup copy job copies the recent complete restore point created by a source backup job on the first run. On the next runs, Veeam Backup & Replication copies the oldest source restore points until there are no restore points left.". If I understand these words correctly, it means the backup copy job will copy the most recent backup point and the initial run. In the second run, it should copy the remaining old recovery points from the source. However, the software is not behaving like the document. Is there a bug in the software or a setting needs to be set in order to copy the old recovery points in the copy job? We are using the latest Veeam Public release software version in AWS and VBR.
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 352 times

Re: Backup copy job not copying everthing from source

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi Leslie,

I'm going to ask our Technical Writers to please clarify on this as Backup Copy jobs will only act on new restore points; perhaps that line is meant to indicate something else but by default Backup Copy will only work with the most recent restore points and new restore points moving forward. Immediate mode will get all new points created. I will post once I hear back from my colleagues, but right now the behavior is expected, and moving forward all new points from your Veeam Backup for AWS appliance in the External Repository attached to Veeam will be copied.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 352 times

Re: Backup copy job not copying everthing from source

Post by david.domask »

Hi Leslie,

Indeed, it was just poorly worded and the language has been updated: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
In the immediate copy mode, backup copy job copies the recent complete restore point created by a source backup job on the first run. On the next runs, Veeam Backup & Replication copies the oldest source restore points that were created after the point initially copied until there are no restore points left.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst