Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
dbeerts
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: DBeerts

Linux Agent standalone vs managed

Post by dbeerts »

Hi,

We face some difficulties regarding the configuration of Agents, in particular with Linux Agent.
Normally we use the agent in Managed Mode, but in this situation we aren't allowed to connect to the client with SSH. So we opted for the pre-installed agent as this is the only available option if i'm correct?
Now it seems that not all features are available when the agent is managed by agent. Like synthetic fulls, why isn't this available if the backup is managed by agent? The synthetic full process is something on VBR/Repo side, why does it matter what mode the agent is running? This means we have to create synthetic fulls every week, so a lot of extra storage will be used and the backup will take a lot of time.

Is there a possibility to 'change' a pre-installed agent to an VBR Managed agent, without using SSH/Credentials? The Veeam services are already deployed within the server, why isn't all communication done with these services/ports? I understand customer concerns about the use of SSH, is Veeam thinking about a solution for this topic?

Thanks in advance!
Dries
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2331 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Linux Agent standalone vs managed

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dries

v12.1 has a new option to deploy Veeam Agent for Linux without the use of SSH. It requires protection group type "Individuals computers".
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

What's new v12.1: https://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_12_1 ... new_wn.pdf
Deployer service — manage Linux servers without requiring SSH connectivity and without storing
OS credentials on the backup server with the new Deployer service that allows secure connection to
the protected system over a single port and uses certificate-based authentication.
Please give it a try. I would love to hear your feedback about this new option.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dbeerts
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: DBeerts

Post by dbeerts »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks, I actually read this before, but completely forgot about it...
What about the nosnap module, is there a workaround available to get it working?
rovshan.pashayev
Veeam Software
Liked: 45 times
Full Name: Rovshan Pashayev

Post by rovshan.pashayev »

Hello Dries,

Pre-installed Deployer Service with no-snap agent is not possible now, but we will certainly evaluate its feasibility for inclusion in a future versions.
Rovshan Pashayev
Analyst
Veeam Agent for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris