Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SSSSSStorage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: T C

Backup VMs only once via schedule + tag

Post by SSSSSStorage »

Hi,

We have a workflow when we retire VMs that before we delete them we back them up to a standalone policy x1 and then keep for long term on immutable storage

This is normally a manual task to add to a policy > run once. however it would be great if we could do this by using VMWare Tag. However we would only want 1 backup of the machine, not a new single copy every night, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 2 week delay in junior vSphere admins actually deleting the VMs and we dont want 14 copies backed up to immutable storage with a 12 month retention....

The only options are to only keep 1 restore point, but is there an option that says 'if VM+Tag already exists dont include in next job run'?

have others come across this particular need?

The only way around it at present as I see it is to set 1 restore point to local storage > copy job x1 a week to immutable storage which should reduce the duplication of backups sent to it.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 143 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Backup VMs only once via schedule + tag

Post by tyler.jurgens » 1 person likes this post

I don't see an easy way to add a VeeamZIP backup by VMware Tag, but you could just simply do a VeeamZIP backup to your immutable storage. It will run a full backup and you can set whatever retention period you like on it.

More manual than just tagging a VM with a VMware tag unfortunately, but it meets your other criteria quite well. Maybe Veeam can implement a way to run a VeeamZIP backup on a VMware Tagged VM?
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social