Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
legethi
Lurker
Liked: never

Licences question

Post by legethi »

Hi,

I'm not sure about how many licences I need.
I have 2 ESXi server version 8 and arount 60 VMs
I was having old perpetual licences expired support Veeam Data Platform Essentials Standard with 4 socket and then my Business Partner provide me a new licences with support Veeam Data Platform Essentials with 5 instances.
Someone can tell me what is my best option and in case of instance how many licences I really need.
Is having 5 instances and then I connect my veeam server on 2 ESXi servers I can only backup 5 VM or is that 5 simultaneous VM max.
Thanks for your support
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 359 times

Re: Licences question

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi legethi,

You can read about how the licensing is handled here in our User Guide, but I also recommend reaching out to your sales representative from https://my.veeam.com and they can assist you with a quote.

In general, for machines it's one instance per machine; secondary copies (Backup Copy, Backup to Tape) do not require additional instances.

With your scenario, you could use the 5 instances for protecting 5 workloads (VMs, physical machines, etc), and then additional instances would be needed if you wanted to add more machines to your backups.

But I strongly advise reach out to your sales representative and they will help with the sizing and what options best to protect your environment.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst