Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
rtheseeker
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Rajeev Mehta

Variance in VBO ObjectStore Azure and AWS

Post by rtheseeker »

I have been tasked to reduce retention on Azure primary blobs at the moment the retention on primary Azure Blob is set to 1 year however I am planning to reduce it to 180 days; the retention is Snapshot based.

Currently we backup only Exchange and One Drive data to Azure Blob and a secondary copies goes to Amazon S3 for long term storage. There is only one storage account in Azure and we have seprate

There are few questions
a. Is there a way to find out how much of difference reducing the retention will make; at the moment the total source data Exchange Mailbox Size in Office365 is 46.8TB and One Drive Data is 39.8 TB

b. Veeam Object Storage on Azure Blob shows data stored for Exchange Mailbox as 92TB (approx.) from within Veeam Console; However, the same backup copy data for Exchange on AWS Object store is showing as 80.5 TB. Also when I look at Azure Storage Account it shows a different data size

Is this normal to have this much of variance between
a. Azure Blob storage vs what is stored in AWS S3 although it is the backup copy of the same data (Azure 90 TB( 1 year retention and this will be going down to 3 months) AWS 80TB although AWS ObjectStore has LTS)
b. Sum total of Total Data(Exchange Mailbox Data, OneDrive Data) in Azure (116 TB approx) Vs What shows up in Azure Storage Account when you manually look at it. Azure Storeage Account that only hosts these repository shows 132 TB (120 TiB)

c. Also the source data specially OneDrive where the data shows 39.TB and on Veeam this shows only 25 TB on Azure Blob and 25.7 TB on AWS
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2346 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Variance in VBO ObjectStore Azure and AWS

Post by Mildur »

Hello Rajeev

a) No, we don't provide APIs or UI options for such information.
b) Objects do not have the same size for backup and backup copy jobs. Therefore a difference in used storage is expected.
--> Backup data is stored in 5MB (exchange) and 8MB (Sharepoint, OneDrive) chunks before compression
--> Backup copy data is stored in 256MB (exchange, Sharepoint, OneDrive) chunks before compression
b. Sum total of Total Data(Exchange Mailbox Data, OneDrive Data) in Azure (116 TB approx) Vs What shows up in Azure Storage Account when you manually look at it. Azure Storage Account that only hosts these repository shows 132 TB (120 TiB)
Is blob versioning/immutability enabled?
c. Also the source data specially OneDrive where the data shows 39.TB and on Veeam this shows only 25 TB on Azure Blob and 25.7 TB on AWS
On object storage repositories, we can compress SharePoint/OneDrive data up to 10% - 30%. Sounds right to me that you only have a backup size of 25TB on your repository.

Feel free to open a support case if you think something is wrong.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software