Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JH-IT
Service Provider
Liked: never

copy periodic copy job data to new storage

Post by JH-IT »

Hi fellow Veeam users,

We are facing a challenge during a hardware refresh/migration.
We are moving all our GFS backups to a Dell DataDomain solution.
We have several years of GFS restore points in the Single File format and we need to copy these files to the datadomain.

VeeaMover and copy job of copy job is not supported because of the old backup format.

When we copy the files using SMB/NFS/DDBoost, the files are not decompressed when stored on the datadomain.
This is results in a much lower de-duplication ratio on these files compared to files decompressed when stored.

As I understand, upgrading the chain only upgrades the latest restorepoint to new new format, am I correct?

What do you think is the best option to copy these files to the datadomain?

Best Regards,

Jos
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 360 times

Re: copy periodic copy job data to new storage

Post by david.domask »

Hi JH,

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

From the User Guide, with your configuration, the upgrade process will start a new backup chain, so I'm not sure that this will suit your needs. Similarly, with just regular file copy operations, there is not a means for decompressing it as would happen if a Backup or Backup Copy job were writing to the DataDomain as the data blocks are compressed/decompressed in-flight and written into a backup file, so it's the data from inside the backup file being decompressed before being written into the backup file.

Is the goal to simply move the existing backups and leave them for restore purposes or is the goal to try to continue the chain? The latter I do not think will be possible, so it might be better to just start a new chain going to the new hardware and keep the old backups around (either on the DataDomain or on the original storage if possible) and just continue with the new chain.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst