Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ahmoled
Lurker
Liked: never

Using 2 B&R servers and 2 repositories in somewhat HA state

Post by ahmoled »

Hi all.

Is it possible to use 2 B&R servers in the same infrastructure ? We would like to build something like this :

The building is split in two with separate power lines. We have 2 servers and 1 NAS by side. Each server has Microsoft Hyper-V and runs some VMs. In case of issues on one side, we want to be able to re-run lost VMs on the other.
We also want our backup to function even if one side is lost. That is why we thought about 2 backup servers and 2 repositories.

Is it possible ? I think Veeam doesn't support active-active backups, but what about active-passive ? If one primary server is down, the other one do the work.
Or is it better to have 2 servers but only one up, the other configured with shared config files ?
What about the 2 NAS ? Is it possible to have 2 backup repositories with the same data ?

Thanks for your help.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2374 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Using 2 B&R servers and 2 repositories in somewhat HA state

Post by Mildur »

Hi ahmoled

No, it's not possible today with Veeam Backup & Replication. But we know about the request.
Please check the forum search. You will find similar question and answers from other users.
Or is it better to have 2 servers but only one up, the other configured with shared config files ?
Two backup server accessing the same configuration will not work.
You can use a replica job to replicate your VBR VM to the other site. Or keep a spare backup server in your second site. If the primary backup server goes down, you have to import the latest configuration backup. Which will allow you to continue jobs and restores from the second backup server.
What about the 2 NAS ? Is it possible to have 2 backup repositories with the same data ?
Storage replication could be possible outside of Veeam. But it's not recommended. Because the backup server wouldn't be aware.
Also storage replication will replicate corrupted blocks as well.
I suggest to use Veeam backup copy jobs to copy backups to the NAS on the other site.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ahmoled
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ahmoled »

Hello Fabian,

Thanks for your fast response.
You can use a replica job to replicate your VBR VM to the other site.
How does Veeam's replication work ? If my VBR VM is down, how can I start the replicated VM ? Is it like a regular VM for Hyper-V, so I can start it using Hyper-V manager ?
I suggest to use Veeam backup copy jobs to copy backups to the NAS on the other site.
If a site is lost (which means VBR1 and NAS1 are lost), and I run backup jobs on the replicated VBR2, will it automatically backup to NAS2 (as NAS1 is unavailable) ? If so, what happens when VBR1 and NAS1 come up again ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2374 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

How does Veeam's replication work ? If my VBR VM is down, how can I start the replicated VM ? Is it like a regular VM for Hyper-V, so I can start it using Hyper-V manager ?
Manually in Hyper-V. Which also means you cannot fallback with a click on a button. A new replication job would be required to replicate your server back.
Preferably you have a second VBR managing the replication job from a third side (or cloud). Then you can use Failover and Failback options of our replica jobs.
If a site is lost (which means VBR1 and NAS1 are lost), and I run backup jobs on the replicated VBR2, will it automatically backup to NAS2 (as NAS1 is unavailable) ?
There will be no VBR2 in a replication scenario. The replicated VM is still your VBR1. Just running on another Hyper-V server.
As long as your NAS1 is working and accessible, jobs will continue. If NAS1 is offline, then jobs using NAS1 as a source or target will not work anymore.

Remember, today there is no HA feature built into the product. No automatic failovers, active/active or active/passive configurations. Loosing a backup server/backup storage means, you have to do manual work to get the server running in another location.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software