Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cptbelch
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Belcher

Restore Backup Config from Linux Hardened Repository

Post by cptbelch »

Hi All,

I've came across a scenario where a customer has placed their VBR Console's Backup Configuration on their Linux Hardened Repository, & it's proving very challenging to ascertain how to access the files.

Through the GUI for restoring the Backup Config file, it gives you the option to browse/go via a UNC path, however the path is hardened down due to the 'one-time use credentials'.

What is the most practical method to attain the config files?

Thanks in advance,
Steven
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Re: Restore Backup Config from Linux Hardened Repository

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi Steven,

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ource.html
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... table.html

During this step of the Configuration Restore, you're given the choice to pick a repository; selecting the Hardened Repository and then browsing to the backup file should be possible. I just tested again really quick with SSH logins disabled on my repository and there was no issue, it should use our components installed on the Hardened repository. Are you seeing different behaviors?

@ Mark, SSH and SFTP should be disabled for the Hardened Repository for security purposes and there should be no need for such workarounds.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
cptbelch
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Steven Belcher

Post by cptbelch »

Hi David & Mark,

Thank you for coming back to me on this matter.

@David, I've attempted to follow the steps as detailed, however I'm not able to select the Hardened Repository (from the drop-down list) via the VBR Config Restore Wizard.

It is worth noting at this point that the attempted VBR Console is v12. It only allows me to select "This server".

I have tested with another server on v12.1 and I am able to select alternative repositories.

I wonder if this is a bug within v12 ???

Many thanks,
Steven
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hi Steven,

Thank you for the update -- I don't recall any limitations or unexpected behaviors on that, but if you're not in a position to upgrade right now, I would recommend open a Support Case and let Veeam Support take a look at the behavior, as I don't immediately recall limitations on this.

But if possible for upgrading, I would advise this route as there are tons of other improvements in the update worth considering :)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst