Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

B&R Feature Request - Use 7zip for log compression

Post by HYF_JE »

I've had the misfortune of needing to take a lot of Veeam log backups lately for various support cases.

We don't have a huge environment, but wow does the built-in Veeam compression for logs suck. I'm guessing that's a problem within the .NET libraries and not specifically Veeam, though.

I generally see much better compression performance and speed with 7-zip when I compress the logs myself manually. Even right now, I'm taking a log export and the Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe process is consuming almost 11GB of RAM on my B&R server. Meanwhile 7-zip is using under 1GB for the same folder. My B&R server usually idles around 8GB used out of 16GB total for the OS. Running a log export/compression eats it all up.

I don't see any real disadvantage to Veeam bundling and using 7-zip inside the B&R software and converting to using it. It's faster, better, permissively-licensed software. Really the only downsides I can think of are Veeam needing to possibly redistribute source code and/or licenses which they're probably required to anyway, and the obvious security risks of pinning a requirement to software that isn't theirs.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2375 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: B&R Feature Request - Use 7zip for log compression

Post by Mildur »

Hello HYF_JE

Your request is noted.

May I ask on which version you are?
Our latest build 12.1.2 has a fix for "High RAM consumption during support log bundle export activity."
https://www.veeam.com/kb4510

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times

Re: B&R Feature Request - Use 7zip for log compression

Post by HYF_JE »

Hi, Fabian

That could explain some things. I am not on the latest build (holding off for the time being).

Even still, I still think Veeam should consider "upgrading" to 7-zip. Smaller log exports are still good for customers without powerful upload pipes for log submissions.