Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Springer

SureBackup on other location: no ping

Post by dspringer »

Good morning

I have a small SureBackup problem and I think you might know a solution.

I have a (currently still Windows) Veeam BR server at my site, which takes over the main functions. The other locations within Germany each have their own backup server with repository, Wan Accelerator and Backup Proxie. I already have SureBackup running successfully for our server landscape on my location.
However, as I also want to check the jobs at the other locations, I have set up another lab at one of them for testing purposes. When masking the IP addresses, other IP ranges were of course also used than for our location. All 10.*.*.* that are not routed between the locations via the VPN connections. However, in the lab environment, the VMs are started up so I can access them through the VM Console. The heartbeat can be recorded, but a ping is not possible.

Who exactly executes the ping request? Our backup server, the remote backup server at the other location, or the Linux VM that is the interface to the lab environment?
Because I almost suspect that I need manual routing entries between my backup server and another source at the remote site.

I hope I didn't make a mistake when setting up the lab environment, as I set everything up according to the documentation I created when setting up our own lab.

--
Before there are any queries here and I have really noted down all the information:
For masking, I have decided to use 10 IP addresses, which are also not routed between the locations. So the first octet is 10, for the second I wanted to make the location visible to me (for example 101 for our location, 102 for location 2, 103 for location 3, etc...). The fourth octet is identical to the original IP and the last octet remains dynamic. For example: instead of 172.16.55.* at location 2 it is masked in 10.102.55.*
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2377 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: SureBackup on other location: no ping

Post by Mildur »

Hi David
Because I almost suspect that I need manual routing entries between my backup server and another source at the remote site.
Can you confirm if the Proxy Appliance is in the same subnet as the backup server? If it is not in the same subnet as the backup server, routing must be setup manually on your network devices:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
If you assign to the proxy appliance an IP address from a different network, you will have to manually add a new route to the routing table on the router in the production network. If you do not add a new route, tests and application scripts will fail and you will not be able to access VMs in isolated networks.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Springer

Post by dspringer »

Hey Mildur. It feels like 90% of the answers to my daft questions come from you - thanks for that *G*

This raises the question of which backup server you mean here.
- The Windows server with full Veeam installation here at my site - then it's not the same subnet.
- The Linux server at the other location, which is basically just a sidekick to our server - then the proxy appliance and the backup server are both in the same subnet.

However, I suspect that version 1 is correct and will have a look at the routings.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2377 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi David

Yes, number 1. Backup server is the server which runs the entire VBR installation. Where you use the ISO to deploy Veeam Backup & Replication. And a Linux server can be used to deploy additional components such as a repository, proxy, gateway or tape server.

The backup server requires a network connection to the proxy appliance: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... surebackup

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software