Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Max93
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

What do I need the "Media Set" setting for?

Post by Max93 »

Hello everyone,

I have already read through the Help Center, but I still don't fully understand the purpose of the Media Sets.

Could you perhaps provide one or two examples to help me grasp the concept?

That would be great :!:
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Re: What do I need the "Media Set" setting for?

Post by david.domask »

Hi Max,

Media Sets act as a purely logical entity allowing you to organize your tapes in a way which is convenient for you. Sorry to just dump an FAQ link, but we recently updated our Tape FAQ (ctrl+f 'Media Sets') to include some expanded explanations on media sets as it can seem daunting, but the concept is purely based on your organizational preferences.

Basically, there is no practical impact on the actual backup process except that a new media set must start with an empty tape; if you're shipping your tapes off-site for example, you might want to always ship a set of tapes per week, and you can organize them by media set to make it more simple to know which tapes belong to which week.

If you would, check out that section and the link for a more elaborate explanation, and let us know if that helps clear it up.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
Max93
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Post by Max93 » 1 person likes this post

Hello David,

thank you very much for the information and the link. Now I understand the Media Set feature better :wink:

Best regards,
Max
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 365 times

Post by david.domask »

Always welcome! Good luck and enjoy tape :)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst