-
mamosorre84
- Veeam Vanguard
- Posts: 394
- Liked: 41 times
- Joined: Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm
- Full Name: Marco Sorrentino
- Location: Ancona - Italy
- Contact:
VIA - Hyperscalers
Hi all,
is it possible/supported to deploy VIA on a hyperscaler?
Regards
Marco S.
is it possible/supported to deploy VIA on a hyperscaler?
Regards
Marco S.
-
Mildur
- Product Manager
- Posts: 12343
- Liked: 3559 times
- Joined: May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
- Full Name: Fabian K.
- Location: Switzerland
- Contact:
Re: VIA - Hyperscalers
Hi Marco,
No, there is currently no supported way to deploy and run Veeam Infrastructure Appliances on hyperscalers. Most hyperscalers, including Azure, AWS, and GCP, do not support booting directly from an ISO, so you cannot deploy the appliance that way.
For virtual deployments, Veeam Infrastructure Appliances can only be deployed on hypervisors, not Hyperscaler, we support. Please see:
- Statement, where you can deploy Infrastructure Appliances
- List of support Hypervisor - Review Virtualization platforms
May I ask which infrastructure role you plan to deploy on a HyperScaler? And on which HyperScaler?
Best,
Fabian
No, there is currently no supported way to deploy and run Veeam Infrastructure Appliances on hyperscalers. Most hyperscalers, including Azure, AWS, and GCP, do not support booting directly from an ISO, so you cannot deploy the appliance that way.
For virtual deployments, Veeam Infrastructure Appliances can only be deployed on hypervisors, not Hyperscaler, we support. Please see:
- Statement, where you can deploy Infrastructure Appliances
- List of support Hypervisor - Review Virtualization platforms
May I ask which infrastructure role you plan to deploy on a HyperScaler? And on which HyperScaler?
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
-
mamosorre84
- Veeam Vanguard
- Posts: 394
- Liked: 41 times
- Joined: Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm
- Full Name: Marco Sorrentino
- Location: Ancona - Italy
- Contact:
Re: VIA - Hyperscalers
Hi Fabian,
thank you for your reply.
I expected that answer, as I’d asked the same question some time ago regarding the VSA
A customer with v12 has a Linux Hardened Repository installation on OCI, used for backups with the RMAN plugin.
For another customer, also on OCI, I was considering implementing an ABR to centrally manage the native dumps of some databases.
Marco S.
thank you for your reply.
I expected that answer, as I’d asked the same question some time ago regarding the VSA
A customer with v12 has a Linux Hardened Repository installation on OCI, used for backups with the RMAN plugin.
For another customer, also on OCI, I was considering implementing an ABR to centrally manage the native dumps of some databases.
Marco S.
-
Mildur
- Product Manager
- Posts: 12343
- Liked: 3559 times
- Joined: May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
- Full Name: Fabian K.
- Location: Switzerland
- Contact:
Re: VIA - Hyperscalers
Hi Marco,
Good point regarding the application backup repository.
As for a hardened repository, I would advise against it in this scenario. If the customer is already using Google Cloud, why not use Google Cloud Storage instead? A hardened repository would introduce additional compute costs.
Am I missing a requirement that makes a hardened repository preferable?
Best,
Fabian
Good point regarding the application backup repository.
As for a hardened repository, I would advise against it in this scenario. If the customer is already using Google Cloud, why not use Google Cloud Storage instead? A hardened repository would introduce additional compute costs.
Am I missing a requirement that makes a hardened repository preferable?
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
-
mamosorre84
- Veeam Vanguard
- Posts: 394
- Liked: 41 times
- Joined: Oct 24, 2016 3:56 pm
- Full Name: Marco Sorrentino
- Location: Ancona - Italy
- Contact:
Re: VIA - Hyperscalers
Hi Fabian,
the main reason was that with v12 the RMAN plugin could not write directly to an S3 repository.
Another requirement was that the customer’s backup data must not leave OCI, but must be immutable.
In any case, I guess OCI Object Storage does not yet support S3-compatible APIs for native object lock.
Thank you
Marco S.
the main reason was that with v12 the RMAN plugin could not write directly to an S3 repository.
Another requirement was that the customer’s backup data must not leave OCI, but must be immutable.
In any case, I guess OCI Object Storage does not yet support S3-compatible APIs for native object lock.
Thank you
Marco S.
-
Mildur
- Product Manager
- Posts: 12343
- Liked: 3559 times
- Joined: May 13, 2017 4:51 pm
- Full Name: Fabian K.
- Location: Switzerland
- Contact:
Re: VIA - Hyperscalers
Ah, sorry—I misread your message.
You meant Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), not Google Cloud. Please disregard my previous reply.
Best,
Fabian
You meant Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI), not Google Cloud. Please disregard my previous reply.
Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: d.artzen, Google [Bot] and 383 guests