Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

3PAR SAN Backup - iSCSI integration

Post by regnak2012 »

Hi,
I've integrated 3PAR with FC storage & Veeam before but this is my first time with iSCSI. The backups are unable to get a presentation of the 3PAR snapshot due to an invalid 3PAR host entry for the backup server generated by Veeam during the backup process. The host entry contains a single IQN with no host port attached. I can manually create a host entry with the 4 valid IQNs/Host Ports for the backup server and export the same 3PAR snapshot to the backup server successfully.
What is the expected behaviour for backup server host entries in 3PAR? Are they autogenerated by Veeam? Where does it get it's IQN information from? Why does it ignore a manual Host entry for the backup server and create it's own? The autogenerated one uses a FQDN in the name and a "Veeam_" prefix.
I've opened a case 02202398 but would appreciate some background logic from the Devs around host definitions in 3PAR (also in case I'm doing something wrong). We're using Server 2016 on the physical backup server (for ReFS) if that makes any difference?
All advice appreciated
regnak2012
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: 3PAR SAN Backup - iSCSI integration

Post by regnak2012 » 1 person likes this post

Just off the phone to support so the issue was caused by a mismatch in the iSCSI IQN - the backup server used the netbios name but after disconnecting and reconnecting each discovered target, it came back with a FQDN in the iSCSI IQN and then the Veeam_<server FQDN> Host entry on the 3PAR listed 4 valid ports and the backup worked fine.
Open powershell as an administrator and and run the command "Get-IscsiSession" to query the InitiatorNodeAddress value property.