Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davegold
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Gold

Active full and new full backup

Post by davegold »

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has insight into the following.

I configured a large host (1.5TB) to back up to a 2TB repository, and configured it using reverse incremental. I selected active full, thinking that it would replace the vbk file, instead of creating a new one.

I got an alert that my repository was full, and saw that it created a new full. I stopped the job, deleted the new vbk, removed active full from the job, and started the job. And it created a new full...

Does anyone know how to force it to continue the reverse incremental chain? Or do I need to start over and lose my backup history?

Also, if it had been able to finish, would we have ended up with a new full, or would it have turned the previous one into a reverse incremental rollback file?

Thanks,

Dave
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Surebackup, active full and new full backup

Post by veremin »

Hi, Dave.

It’s definitely expected, since the whole idea of active full backup is to act as a separate restore point that has nothing to do with existing backup chain.

If were you, I would just recreate a job from the scratch, remove a current day from the active full schedule, map the newly-created job to a backup data, and execute it. Such scenario should guarantee that the incremental run will be performed, instead of a full one.

Thanks.
davegold
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dave Gold

Re: Active full and new full backup

Post by davegold »

Hi,

Good idea--so if I map a new job that has reverse incremental but no active full, it can continue to use the most recent backup file (vbk)? The only reason I hesitate is that the metadata file (vbm) would have reference to the backups I deleted--wouldn't that throw things off?

And thanks for pointing out about the active full...I should have caught that :(

Dave
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Active full and new full backup

Post by veremin »

I can’t say for sure whether or not the aforesaid intervention has affected backup chain, though, I believe that this workaround has the best chances to turn everything back. So, it might be worth giving it a shot. Thanks.