Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
LickABrick
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Lick A Brick

[Feature Request] Add warning when VM size (in job) is 0KB

Post by LickABrick »

Hi,

A little while ago we had an issue where we wanted to recover a file from a backup. We tried restoring but we could not see any data in the FLR window. It turned out the VM in question has some disks which don't need to be backed up. The person who configured the backup job had made a mistake in picking the disks to include in the backup job. He picked an non existing disk, this lead to the VM size being 0KB.

Of course this is a human error and in the backup logs it shows a backup size of 0KB for the VM. But it would be nice if Veeam gave a warning either when creating the job, or in the job log when it notices a VM has a 0KB size.
(the file was not important so in this case it didn't really matter as much)

If you disagree (or agree) let me know :)
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 519 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: [Feature Request] Add warning when VM size (in job) is 0KB

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'd say that it would be better to prevent an error before it happens than to introduce new warnings for already existing problem. As far as I understood, the real source of the problem is that some orphaned disks remained in a backup and affected FLR. Could you please clarify what exactly do these "non-existing disks" represent and how it's related to the problem with FLR?

Thanks!
LickABrick
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Lick A Brick

Post by LickABrick » 1 person likes this post

Hi PetrM,

I did not mean an orphaned disk. I recreated the scenario in a test setup with a new Backup Job. In the image below you see the settings for the job, in this image you can see the disk included for this VM is 'IDE (0:0)'. This disk does not exist (and never has), the disk should have been 'SCSI (0:0)' this has been picked by mistake. As you can see the 'Total size' for this VM is 0B.
It would be nice to get a warning or error when pressing next, or on the summary page if there is a VM with a size of 0B.

The thing with the FLR screen is not an issue, but you get the error 'No virtual disk found' which is indeed true since no disk has been backed up.

Veeam does exactly as told, but this can prevent human error when misconfiguring a job.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Ok, I've got your point. I'll discuss it with our QA team and will update the topic as soon as I hear back from my colleagues.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

@LickABrick I've discussed it with my colleagues from QA, we'll add a corresponding message if we have enough requests for it. Thanks again, your feedback is very helpful!

Thanks!