Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Advice for migration

Post by matteu »

Hello,

I have customer to migrate from Hyper-V to vmware.

1)I will use instant VM recovery to migrate all his VM and then install vmware tools. Do I need to take care about other thing ?

2)He use vsan repository, to obtain best performance, it's recommended to have 1 virtual proxy/ node right?
I think about the use of NBD if management network is on 10Gb (40% due to vmware API limitation) but on hottadd if it's 1Gb. Am I correct?

3)There are 2 datacenter with replica. Only 1 datacenter will be active. I see it's recommended to create veeam backup on DR datacenter, I will do it :)

4)My customer has low retention period on his actual repository and for long retention he uses tapes. How can I manage it with the migration ?
I need to rebuild all backup policy. I think about create new Veeam server from scratch and reconfigure all because the only component I keep is the tape server.
My issue is I need to inventory all my tape in the new server if I want to restore old data right ?
If I want to avoid it, I need to import configuration and break all what I don't need anymore. Am I right ?

Thanks for your help :)
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Advice for migration

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I would say everything your wrote above is right.
2)
I would go and use hot-add as it will provide you with better performance but of course you can also use NBD if you want.
3)
Putting the VBR server on the DR site is a best practice as it will make it easier to continue working if primary fails.
But depending on your environment and what the complete picture looks like (network, latency, bandwith, used features...etc.) this can be discussed.
4)
you already answered yourself, either make a new veeam server and import the old tapes or continue to use the current veeam server. Another option could be to just keep the current veeam server for restores and make a new veeam server for all new jobs. As it is unlikely that you need to recover every day from the old tapes this may be an option as well.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thanks for your answer.
This issue with the last option is my tape server need to be added on my 2 veeam environment. I think it's not the best thing to do right ?
I can see with my customer if he already used a lot of tape or not :p . If he used 100 tapes, I think I need to migrater configuration. If he used 10/15, maybe he can just reinventory them
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan » 1 person likes this post

correct you will need two tape server anyway (one per veeam server), that is correct.
But then you can unzone/de-attached the tapes from the current one and only attach it back in case you need a recovery.
The important thing is you keep the information for the tapes in the veeam server.
It will always take some time to then recover (as you have to re-attached the tape device) but as mentioned above, usually customers to very rarely recover from tape and if they have to then the RTO is not as important.
So, not saying that will apply to your customer, just saying that in the past i had plenty of customers that just "aged out" the old tapes that way.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thanks for your help :)