Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
KAMI
Novice
Liked: never

Advice on backup plan and implementation

Post by KAMI »

Hey everyone,

We have as plan to use veeam to backup our virtual infrastructure (vmware) and the veeam backup server will be a VM on the same infrastructure.

To try speeding up the backup/restore, we will present LUNs where VMs are to the Veeam server, will that work ?

Another "issue/quetion" is to setup a proper backup plan, short term backup will have as destination the same SAN on a different LUN (very limited retention - 3 days for example in a forever incremental). But of course we need to keep more and for that, we will export these backup to Azure and there we would like to keep 14 days, is that feasible ?

Thanks in advance for you help everyone,

KAMI
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Advice on backup plan and implementation

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Kami, welcome to the Veeam Forums. The backup proxies for VMware do the backup, so anything you can do to let them perform better will help.

You may want to read up on the Transport Modes section of Helpcenter: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Personally, I don't like putting the backups on the same SAN (regardless of different LUN). I have nothing but evidence in form of success stories with Veeam that bad things happen to good storage systems. You do however indicate that you want to put the backups in Azure for longer retention, a few notes:
-I strongly recommend another copy of data locally not on the same SAN as the production data
-Veeam has a lot of materials on the '3-2-1 Rule' a really good mindset to adopt
-For the Azure storage, I recommend you configure the capacity tier in the Scale-out Backup Repository to use the new COPY mode which will take the most recent backups to Azure.

As for your 14 day retention in Azure, it depends on your requirements, but due to the nature of how Veeam intelligently puts backup data in the capacity tier, the blob storage use in Azure is very efficient - including a storage efficiency. With that efficiency, I advocate storing as much as you require, plus some more