Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

antivirus

Post by mporliod »

Hello, I wanted to ask a question that will seem stupid to you, does it make sense to install an antivirus on the veeam server and on the proxies?
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: antivirus

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi massimiliano,

thanks for reaching out.
I don’t think there is a general answer to that. Running a antivirus on the veeam components can make sense but it is mandatory to make sure you exclude specific files and directories (e.g. repositories) as the scan may lower your performance.
Also depends if you run a generic legacy antivirus tool or a new gen anti virus.
So as Said no real answer here but if you provide details on your environment and tools you use we may be able to do some recommendations.
As a start there is also a KB we recommend for exclusions: https://www.veeam.com/kb1999

Hope that helps

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: antivirus

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I would say antivirus scanning and protection is a common preventive security measure intended to improve the cybersecurity posture and protect against threats such as ransomware, malware, and so on. Thus, it basically applies to any server within an organization. On the other hand, please keep in mind that some of the antivirus systems can potentially block not harmful software services and products, or interfere with their operations, thus requiring an adjustment of the antivirus rules and exclusions or even communications with the antivirus vendor.

We have a handy KB article explaining what should be added to the exclusions.

Thanks