Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Mehnock
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christopher Navarro

Any plans to use Provisioning Stack in ESXi?

Post by Mehnock »

Hi,

I was just reading about the provisioning stack in ESXi and thought that would be a great stack for Veeam NBD traffic, has anyone tried forcing traffic down this stack (with prior setup of the provisioning stack)?

Also, is it possible to put a 10Gb NIC in the management network portgroup and leave the original NIC in there. Will the NBD traffic during a backup use this faster connection?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Any plans to use Provisioning Stack in ESXi?

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Christopher,

In this article we can see that provisioning stack has nothing to do with NBD:
Supports the traffic for virtual machine cold migration, cloning, and snapshot migration. You can use the provisioning TCP/IP to handle Network File Copy (NFC) traffic during long-distance vMotion.
But if you want to route NBD traffic over a dedicated network, perhaps you could have a look at this note and try the proposed method which should work starting from vSphere 7.

Thanks!
Mehnock
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christopher Navarro

Re: Any plans to use Provisioning Stack in ESXi?

Post by Mehnock » 1 person likes this post

Yes I read the documentation and thought this would be a good improvement for VBR to use this stack but really all I needed was to be able to isolate my backup traffic and fortunately I am using vSphere 7 so I just configured my backup network using the way you suggested in the article. We'll see how it goes tonight.